You know, there are only four obstacles between making a sale and turning somebody into a happy, satisfied client, and that person is going someplace else.
It is very simple. These are the obstacles:
1. They feel no need.
2. They have no trust.
3. They need no help.
4. They're in no hurry.
Your goal, as an advisor, is to help them change their mindset to one of:
- I feel some need.
- I feel some trust.
- I need some help.
- I'm in some hurry.
Imagine that it is kind of like a football. If you actually have your opponent's playbook, you have the upper hand. It doesn't matter how big the school or how large the organization. When you play football there are only 11 players on the field from each team. Some are bigger than others, some are faster than others, but it is all about where those players are going to be when the ball is snapped. If you had the playbook of the other team, with proper preparation your defense would probably be able to shut down their offense while your own offense could dominate their defense.
Basically, you now have the playbook for your prospects. Our first job is to lower their sales resistance. This is what we are going to cover in this column over the next couple of months.
Let's say you do a 5,000-piece mail-out for a seminar and you have 100 people who attend, which means you have 2 percent of the invitation recipients come to your event. The other 98 percent felt no need, they didn't have any trust, they felt they didn't need any help, and they were absolutely in no hurry.
The people that are showing up have some need, have a little bit of trust, need only a little bit of help and maybe they are in somewhat of a hurry. At least they are taking some action now.
Now our job is to lower their sales resistance, and that is the first thing we as advisors must do. Imagine every client coming in with a thermometer as tall as they are, it reads 100 degrees, and it is bright red. This means you've got 100 percent sales resistance. Over the next few months, we are going to talk about the things we need to do to lower that sales resistance to zero.
We are only going to concentrate on the initial contact at both seminars and face-to-face meetings. Then, we will talk about how to increase sales acceptance up to 100 percent and that color will be bright green. Because if you can't lower sales resistance to zero and create Need, Trust, Help, and Hurry, you won't create sales acceptance.
Without that you or your prospects won't have the relationship you both deserve.