Filed Under:Health Insurance, Medicare

FAQ: Canceling Part B

An agent asks....

Q: Can someone currently enrolled in Part B cancel this coverage? If so, how is this done? What are the consequences of getting back on Part B later?

A: If a person is enrolled in Part B, and then wants to disenroll in Part B, they may do so by visiting their local Social Security office, or by going online to If they maintain "other credible coverage," they may return to Part B during certain time periods without penalty.

Our Medicare expert is Mike Smith, president of The Brokerage Inc. He can be reached at or 469-635-6703.

If you would like to be considered for our Medicare FAQ expert panel to answer frequently asked questions, email associate editor Heather Trese.

Do you have a Medicare question that you would like answered? Email us and let us know! Please put "Medicare FAQ" in the subject line.

Related resources

More Resources


Power your business with up-to-the-minute insurance news, analysis, and best practices from LifeHealthPro Daily eNewsletter – FREE.

Power your business with LifeHealthPro Daily eNewsletter – FREE.

Enter a valid email address.
Nichole Morford

Nichole Morford
Managing Editor

Thank you for subscribing to LifeHealthPro Daily!

Check Out More eNewsletters Now! Close

Advertisement. Closing in 15 seconds.