Want to make a million dollars? Sure you do. As some of the most successful agents will tell you, making money isn't necessarily about working harder, it's about working smarter. Here are a few of the traits and techniques he uses to outdistance the competition, work a whole lot less, and make a whole lot more:
- Put your activity on a point system - Low activity is the single biggest reason that producers fail. One idea is to assign 10 points to a face-to-face interview, five points to a phone call, and one point to dialing the phone. Your goal? Get to 50 points--or don't go home until you do.
- Work with clients you enjoy - Many peak performers say that not only do they target a niche market, but they also focus on select individuals with whom they enjoy doing business.
- Constantly seek out referrals - Use newsletters, giveaways, or anything else to drum up interest and a following. Consider using giveaways for people who can suggest referrals.
- Market yourself everyday - Gimmicks can be a light-hearted way to feel out potential prospects. Be creative and think outside the box.
- The bottom line: Top producers have a different mindset than less successful advisors. They stay focused on their long-term financial gain while being obsessed in the short term with building solid client relationships.
Kerry Johnson, MBA, Ph.D., is a best-selling author and frequent speaker at financial planning and insurance conferences around the world.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day!