Bill Smith's book "The Happy Advisor," is full of fresh approaches to overcoming challenges in the financial advisory industry. Below are his five reasons why clients need you as their advisor.
1. There's no one like you. They could pick from many other full-service advisors, but they need you because you are honest and looking out for their best interest.
2. Third parties can be deadly to portfolios. Counteract third-party erroneous advice right away by having a few counter arguments ready. Let's say a client's neighbor is pressuring him or her to invest in some great new fund. Ask, "Did Mrs. Smith mention which investment licenses she has? Did she say what responsibility she is willing to take for this advice?"
3. You do more than count Morningstar stars. You have the judgment required to not get voted off the financial advisors' island. You have courage to tell them not to buy into a certain investment. You have the guts to stand up for your recommendations.
4. You have the resources of a major investment firm to back you up. If clients would rather deal with people who don't have the training, education and experience you have, that's fine. But they should beware what they are doing and know the possible consequences.
5. We are the major leagues. We are the place where big, serious money goes to find a home and rest their head at night. You don't have to worry about the markets--you've seen them, know them and you know you will come out the other end. Use your wisdom and experience to help your clients enjoy the ride.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day!
- The 100 best marketing ideas
- Referrals: Common sense versus common practice
- Indexed annuities set sales record
Bill Smith is a financial advisor with more than 30 years of experience, a columnist at Horsesmouth.com, and author of "The Happy Advisor." For more information, go to www.thehappyadvisor.com.