Although blogging has been around for quite some time, few financial advisors have leveraged this powerful tool. And that’s a shame. I consider blogging to be an amazing tool to empower people to find, connect and build relationships with financial professionals.
A blog is the foundation of a successful social-media strategy. It allows advisors to push content and talk about who they are as professionals, who they work with and how they serve their clients.
In order to succeed, an advisor must have a desire to build a community of readers and ambassadors, a compelling story to share and a commitment to educate website visitors.
Here are 10 tips to get you started:
- Talk to your compliance team and find out what you can or cannot do while blogging. (Remember that archiving your content is a must.)
- Plan out a solid content strategy (unique and valuable content that speaks to your target market).
- Be passionate. Nobody talks about boring businesses.
- Focus on content that is actionable (i.e., “How to…”). Your readers want to be educated and learn something new.
- Encourage conversation by responding to every comment, good or bad.
- Empower your readers to share your articles on social media. (Use social-media buttons such as “Share,” “Tweet,” etc.)
- Promote it constantly using social media.
- Be consistent and update frequently (at least once a week). Businesses that blog at least 20 times per month generate five times more traffic than those that blog fewer than four times per month (according to a HubSpot study).
- Have a solid SEO strategy. (Research which keywords are important to target and focus on long-tail keyword phrases, which are less competitive.)
- Review your analytics and write content accordingly. (Learn what content people respond to.)
A blog is a simple, cost-effective marketing tool and a great way to raise your profile. Follow these guidelines and start blogging your way to success today.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
Loic Jeanjean is the Online Marketing Manager at Advisor Websites where he helps financial services professionals grow their market share by leveraging online marketing and social media. Go to www.advisorwebsites.com/blog for more information.