Filed Under:Health Insurance, Individual Health

Covered California starts producer preregistration

Covered California, the agency running the state's public exchange, has opened preregistration for agents who want to sell its coverage.

Agents can sign up for training here.

Consumers and eligible small business owners will be able to buy coverage directly through the exchange website. Navigators and other types of non-licensed helpers will be able to give general advice about how the exchange works. But only licensed agents will be able to get the training and certification needed to recommend and sell specific individual or small-group plans, officials say.

To get the Covered California Certified Insurance Agent designation, an agent must have a valid California Accident and Health Agent license and carry what the exchange believes to be adequate errors and omissions insurance coverage.

The exchange does not expect computer-based training to be available until November. Agents who want to get certified by Oct. 1, in time for the scheduled exchange start date, will have to attend in-person classes. The classes are set to start the first week of September, officials said in an online handout.

The exchange is working to get the exchange course certified as a California Department of Insurance continuing education course. 

See also:

Originally published on BenefitsPro. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Featured Video

Most Recent Videos

Behind the scenes with Vicki Gunvalson [VIDEO]


In this exclusive interview, Vicki Gunvalson shares how she built a $15 million a year annuity business by planning for...

Regulator: Market may need to reinvent LTCI


Cioppa says Maine's governor wants to spur the creation of better products.

Dementia: It's more than Alzheimer's


An association calls for policymakers to remember lesser-known neurodegenerative conditions.

Protesters Disrupt WellPoint Annual Meeting


Hecklers call for more disclosures of information about political contributions.

Related resources

More Resources


Power your business with up-to-the-minute insurance news, analysis, and best practices from LifeHealthPro Daily eNewsletter – FREE.

Power your business with LifeHealthPro Daily eNewsletter – FREE.

Enter a valid email address.
Nichole Morford

Nichole Morford
Managing Editor

Thank you for subscribing to LifeHealthPro Daily!

Check Out More eNewsletters Now! Close

Advertisement. Closing in 15 seconds.